FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. AT WHAT POINT ARE THE ASSESSMENTS DONE IN THE HIRING PROCESS?
If possible, it is very good to benchmark the position for your company.
At the minimum, run similar assessments on the people with the highest
interaction with the new hire’s position. This makes it easier
to determine how the individual will fit within the group as well
as the position.
If using the Total Application Processing System, then all applicants
would take assessments before they are even considered. JobClues and
CluesCandid are also very good screening assessments that may be used
with each candidate.
Some companies may choose to pick the top three candidates, run the
assessments and use the reports to help narrow down the field OR to
identify the specific questions to use in the advanced interviews.
2. WHAT LEVEL IN THE ORGANIZATION WOULD ASSESSMENTS BE EFFECTIVE
TO HELP MAKE A HIRING DECISION?
All levels. However, based on the position, different assessments
may be recommended.
Don’t you want to know if the warehouse person is reliable?
Or if any employee may have a temper? Or if the new receptionist really
sees the phone as an interruption?
3. WHAT DO WE TELL THE APPLICANT?
Please just tell them you use assessments as part of the hiring/screening
process. If they have already had an interview, congratulate them
on moving to the next level in the process.
Depending on what article or research you read, anywhere from 44%
to 65% of companies now use some type of assessment in the hiring
process. This means it is not unusual for the applicant to have this
On the very, very rare occasion they refuse and you really, really
like them, please let me know and we will try to settle their fears.
If they totally refuse, I would recommend not having them become part
of your team. Unless you really want opinionated employees that won’t
4. WHICH ASSESSMENT(S) DO YOU USE?
Great question. At best, a vague answer. Sorry.
Depends on what the position is, what we want to accomplish, what
time in the interview process we will do this, etc. etc…...
- These are used on all applicants to identify the high risk individuals
and not even spend time interviewing them.
- These can be a part of the online application system or paper
products processes by your company.
- They are generally lower cost than selection assessments.
- With the management level, we generally recommend you do three
assessments on each person.
- One to identify their behavioral style – HOW do they interact
- Second to identify what motivates them – WHY (what filters
- Prevue™ – how quickly can they process information,
do they want to work with people, data or things and 16 personality
traits including how organized are they, how competitive, how stable,
- Generally we recommend a similar path with the management applicant
assessments. However we may use ASSESS™ to get a better plan
5. WHAT IF THE APPLICANT IS JUST MAKING UP ANSWERS?
- With some of the assessments, there is a factor that will tell
us to be cautious about the results.
- Other assessments will show up with distorted graphs and be a
signal this might be the issue.
- On some of the assessments, time is an element and this is checked
- AND, there will be some applicants that may be so astute with
the instruments, they can fool it. However, they are few and far
between. But no system is fool proof. Generally, it shows up as
a distorted graph when they are doing this.
6. HOW ARE YOU DIFFERENT FROM YOUR COMPETITION?
This is another good question. I have to tell you (in case you don’t
already know), there are lots and lots of folks out there with assessments.
Most assessments are good, some are excellent and a few are really
The same can be said for the individuals selling them.
I can only tell you, I know my customers get my years and years of
experience with assessments (please, no age jokes here) and continued
With a long list of customers who keep coming back for more assistance,
I am very comfortable with bringing value to my clients.
I’ve also been told, I know how to read between the lines.
Especially when comparing several assessments on the same individual.
Give us a try. See if you agree.
7. IS THIS JUST FOR HIRING?
Hiring can be filling a position. This can be done with candidates
from within the company also.
Plus, with the exception of CandidClues, any of the assessments can
be used with current employees. Many companies have used them for
years to build stronger teams, increased communication, and as a great
tool for improvement plans.
8. CAN THE INFORMATION BE USED AFTER THEY ARE HIRED?
Another good question. Actually, many of my clients have used the
information a long time later. And it is generally still valid.
Several of the reports can be used to identify how to manage the
individual to increase the productivity. There have been numerous
times when we “tweaked” the job description or duties
and greatly impacted the productivity and the job satisfaction level.
All of us are complicated beings. To try to manage everyone alike
is a good plan – just ask communist leaders. Oh…. It didn’t
work for them either.
Treating employees and customers the way they want to be treated
will result in higher customer satisfaction, higher job retention
and increased profits.
Seems like a good reason to pay attention to the incredible data
you will receive on each individual.
We can help you with that plan.
If The Job Could Talk Who Would The Job Hire? Call 512.278.1200
or 1-866-646-1200. No cost. No obligation.